Daily Archives: 21/03/2012
I absolutely love getting ideas for a new book or a new series and drafting out what the character looks like, how they talk, what they like to wear, their family history. I will admit that I have a bit of a “Creator/God” complex, which is why I so enjoy playing Sims 3.
However, when I write a book or series involving other species, extraterrestrial, scifi stuff there’s a lot more involved in world building than just height, weight, hair color and skin tone.
So, with me doing the outlining and world building for a new series of mine called: The Trapezians which is a definite change to what I’ve written before (one alien shifter with four mates), I thought that I’d share with you Vick-sters what’s behind world building and for those of you attending GRL, letting you see beforehand what to expect when I show up to New Mexico because I will have three very special books. One will be Trapezian Laws, Cultures & Mating, the other will be Galaxy Planetary Alliance 101, and the last will be Mating Song & Other Elven Rites.
So this is the sheet that I work off of when I have to do intense world-building (ex. for The Trapezians):
World Building for Series
Series Title: The Trapezians
- Planet Laws
- Planet Customs
- Species Characteristics (Similar Personality Traits)
- Physical Characteristics
- Talents, gifts, powers (common)
- Species’ Enemies
- Species’ Allies
- Mating Customs
- Governing Body/Customs
- Geography of Planet
- Countries, cities, towns, etc on planet
- Light Years from Earth
- Galaxy Location
- Planetary Language (Similar to what Earth language)
- Money (conversion available)
- Jobs (what is in more demand, what isn’t needed, education requirements and salary)
- Class System
- Planet’s Resources & Goods
- Animals on Planet
- Justice System & Punishment (Sentencing) for Criminals
- Feelings on Slavery, Racism (are there different races/colors?), Gays, Transgenders, Women, Child Labor, Pornography, etc.
- Medical Aid/Assistance/Care
- Homes, Neighborhoods
- Planet History (Wars, discovery, freedom, revolution)
- Monarchy, Democracy, Theocracy, Dictatorship?
- Planet’s Most Notable Figures
- Planet’s Entertainment Resources (Music, Movies, Books, Art, Sports)
- Popular Fashion (Comparable to what Earth fashion?)
- Planet’s Flags, Crest, Song (Is this separated by countries?)
Now you all know what goes into world building (for me) when it comes to new series that are scifi, futuristic features. It’s a wonderful tool and I have so much fun with it.